Billy Graham once said, “If I were an enemy of Christianity, I would aim right at the resurrection because it is the heart of Christianity.”
The British philosopher C.E.M. Joad was once asked, “If you could ask one question, and be sure of getting the right answer, what would it be?” Without a moment’s hesitation he responded, “Did Jesus Christ rise from the dead?” That indeed is the question of all questions!
Wolfhart Pannenberg: “The evidence for Jesus' resurrection is so strong that nobody would question it except for two things: First, it is a very unusual event. And second, if you believe it happened, you have to change the way you live.”
Tim Keller: “If Jesus rose from the dead, then you have to accept all that he said; if he didn't rise from the dead, then why worry about any of what he said? The issue on which everything hangs is not whether or not you like his teaching but whether or not he rose from the dead.”
Charles Spurgeon: “The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is one of the best attested facts on record. There were so many witnesses to behold it, that if we do in the least degree receive the credibility of men’s testimonies, we cannot, and we dare not doubt that Jesus rose from the dead.”
WHAT DOES THE RESURRECTION MEAN?
1. Jesus is who he claimed to be.
John 11:25, "I am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." John 14:6 (LB), "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one can get to God the Father except through me."
2. Jesus has the power he claimed to have.
John 10:18 (Ph), "No one takes my life from me. I have the power to lay it down and I have the power to take it up again."
3. Jesus does what he promises to do.
Mark 10:34 (LB), "They will mock... and flog... and kill me; but after three days I will come back to life again."
Matt. 28:5-6 (LB), The angel said, `Don't be frightened! I know you are looking for Jesus who was crucified, but he isn't here! He has come back to life again, just as he said he would."
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES THE RESURRECTION MAKE?
1. Our Sins Can Be Forgiven. Romans 4:25 says, "He was handed over to die because of our sins, and He was raised from the dead to make us right with God."
2. We Can Live A Life Of Purpose. The vast majority of people in this world, including the vast majority of people that live right here in this county are not living; they are just existing. That is why Jesus said in John 10:10, "My purpose is to give life in all its fullness."
3. We Don’t Have to Fear Death. You see the fact that Jesus Christ came back from the grave and that Jesus Christ came out of that tomb tells me that death does not have to have the final say in my life. Death does not have to conquer me. I can conquer death. The resurrection of Jesus Christ means that when I come to that time when my life is coming to an end and I am about to take my last breath, when I have seen my last sunrise and enjoyed my last sunset I can say, "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" (I Corinthians 15:55, NASB)
4. We Can Receive Eternal Life. You cannot receive eternal life and you cannot go to heaven unless (a) Jesus Christ was raised from the dead and (b) You believe He was and receive Him as your Lord. Romans 10:9 says, "If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9, NASB)
John 11:25, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies." (John 11:25, NASB)
Jesus Is Lord! He is Risen!
Your brother in Jesus,